Networking as a recent graduate


Despite being a young, naive freshman in college several years ago, I knew there was a gap from graduating college and landing my first job. As the four years went by, there was a lot more to consider than to just apply to a position (and honestly, it's rare to find a job that you're fully qualified for). In my third year of college, I took a class called Personal & Professional Networking as an elective for one of my majors (Communication) mainly because I loved the professor and she advertised that it was available. It turned out to be the most rewarding and one of the most practical classes that I took because of the lessons and skills I learned that enabled me to use them in the future. (I will forever be grateful for my professor, Carrie, for everything she's taught me!) 

Being an introvert makes networking incredibly challenging since I am not comfortable initiating conversation or making the first move due to social anxiety and fear of bothering the people I talk to. However, it does take practice and effort to get better at talking to new people.

During our week 4 meeting of my internship, we had a great group of guest speakers (any and all speakers we've had thus far have been amazing) and I knew I had to take advantage of the skills I've learned not too long ago and put them into practice. When it was time for the interns to speak up and ask questions if they had any, I felt my arms tremble, my stomach turn as I raised my hand but I knew I didn't regret it. I brought up a good question and once the meeting was over, I knew I only had a small amount of time to go up to at least one of the guest speakers and thank them for coming. I spoke to one of them and it felt easier once it was one on one versus everyone looking at me. I made a connection that day and it felt pretty awesome. One of the many lessons I learned in that class that it's vital to follow up 24-48 hours of meeting someone and that is exactly what I did. Don't forget to follow up! 

Knowing that I'm fresh out of college, I know its vital to make the right connections to allow yourself to get that foot of yours in the door. You may not land your first job with the connections you make right away, but like any plant, you have to nurture that plant, that connection and make sure it does not wither. Follow up! 


Comments

Popular Posts