A Summer Reflection with Ann Arbor SPARK

It's been a whirlwind of a productive summer that I've had in the last four months and I don't think I would have had such a better experience.


Application Process
From the day I walked across the stage in April 'til today, I've been nothing but busy and excited. I graduated on the 22nd of April, two days later I was on a plane to London for a week (for academic purposes, I promise you) and I came back only to remember I had days to apply for the SPARK internship. I've eyed the flyers all over Quirk Hall at Eastern Michigan University's campus, but I put that in the back burner. When I remembered it again, I was extremely hesitant to apply. I thought about what I had to go through and contemplated why I should even apply since I had no experience in digital marketing. Anxiety began to flood my mind and it took me a lot to do so. I thought about the probability of getting the internship (I didn't think I would get it because I wasn't experienced or had much to offer) and that made me step away from submitting my application. I didn't consult many friends since I spent the last six months applying for strictly communications internships (which is one of my majors) and I heard nothing past the submitting stage.

I decided to put it past me and do it anyway, only to be surprised that I passed the first round of applicants. Even when the interview came, I was still nervous throughout the whole interview. I felt that my skills would not meet with what  SPARK was looking for, but I was overjoyed when I got the internship!

MiPadrino
Working with MiPadrino for seven weeks was great. Being a part of a process that I could connect to, relate to. I thought it was a genius idea to make a platform where the Hispanic/Latinx community could use to organize their events. Everything that I've done during this internship was entirely new to me. I never considered digital marketing before so I really threw myself into something entirely new, which I'm proud since putting myself in new situations is something I don't like to do often.
It was fun to have challenges, to find challenges because it's all part of the learning process. People make mistakes and the important part of that is learning from those mistakes to make sure you do something different as a result of it.

It was a privilege to be a part of something so unique and powerful in the making. My partner and I worked incredibly hard on our main project that we've worked on the entire length of the internship. I do hope when the platform becomes live, that it'll become a great success.

My coworkers and CEO were awesome to work with and for, respectively. They didn't hesitate to help my partner or I when we needed help, more direction or additional guidance. I loved every minute of working for MiPadrino and I only wish for the best for them.

Reflection
I have learned so much during these eight weeks. I was given the opportunity of a life-time and it helped me learn new skills that I desperately needed considering I am a very recent graduate. I was able to learn more details about how to network properly as well as practice those skills every week during our weekly meetings when guests would come in to talk to us about their professional careers and businesses they have started. Some weeks I often didn't speak up, but in the moments that I did, I was proud of myself for doing so.

This internship will continue to have an impact on my life long after it is done. I know I will put more skills into practice and refine and sharpen those that I have developed during my time here. I think one of the most important things that I have learned is that this internship helped me take risks. I did not know what I was getting myself into when I applied and later, got the internship, but this is definitely a decision I do not regret making. It will be a bittersweet moment when I have to say good-bye to the other interns, but since we are connected through LinkedIn, I look forward to hearing and seeing everyone advance into their careers.

Thank you, Ann Arbor SPARK.


Comments

Popular Posts