Aptitude & Attitude - Meeting Reflection


Yesterday, we had a wonderful guest at our final weekly meeting, Amy Cell, founder of Amy Cell, LLC, which is a company focused on finding the perfect career opportunities for clients. She discussed how aptitude tests and Myers-Briggs could help determine what career path is best for you and it made me think all the way back to my senior year in high school where my school counselors had the seniors take an aptitude test.

By the time I was a senior in high school, I had already known for years actually, that I wanted to spend my life creating films for a living. However, as a teen, I had no idea how to get myself out there and for a long time I thought my dreams would not be achievable because it looked so distant and after all, I am a person of color that lives in one of the poorest cities in the country. As I got older, I realized that my dreams were becoming more and more of a tangible possibility. When I first heard that networking is the key in getting into the film industry, it felt like a big boulder sat right in front of me. I didn't know how to network or what that entailed, but as the years went by and learned more and more about it, I know it's possible.

Fast forward to the aptitude tests I took in high school, my results were not surprising. The top three choices were Director of Photography, Acting, and Film Director. Right now I don't have much practical experience in that field despite one of my majors is Electronic Media & Film Studies, however that is not stopping me from pursuing that dream. I know I have to get my feet on the ground now that I've graduated college. I've grown to like digital marketing and I hope I can start off somewhere in that field while I work on my first passion, which is film.

Comments

Popular Posts