Tips for Cold-Calling Rookies

Not everyone is a big fan of making cold calls. A couple weeks back, my partner and I were transitioning into a new side project that tied into the overall main project, which was creating the vendor page from almost scratch. We were tasked with creating template scripts for the cold calls, though I wouldn't necessarily call it cold since the businesses we were contacting were the same businesses that we searched and inputted into the vendor page.

I have some experience writing scripts for my classes (since electronic media was one of my majors), but it was something entirely new to learn. I know how to create simple radio show and television episode and even feature-length film scripts despite my rookie-level of experience, but writing a simple script for cold calls was something new. I began to research and formed a small list of tips that would help me. I am an introvert, so this is something that I have to work around that.

1. Personalize each call - Personalizing each call can ease the anxiety with calling people you don't know.

2. Don't focus on making the sale - It's important to find something you can connect with the person you're trying to make a sale. Finding and setting a common ground will make it less daunting to strive for that sale.

3. Call during off-peak hours - Making the effort in calling the business when they're not busy (generally in the morning or late afternoon) will give you a better chance at having an opportunity to make that sale.

Comments

Popular Posts